Friday, January 29, 2016

Adding to My Totals? Nope.





One more day of hunting was on the schedule for my days off this week.  I went to Anderson, go figure.  I went alone because Clider is somehow addicted to working after taking a 5 day vacation but I have a normal schedule and know that the season is coming to a quick end.  One last day seemed like a good idea.  I packed New Black Betty with 11 of my 12 decoys, the jerk rig, spinning wing decoy and T.J., just in case I needed to retrieve a far away duck without a dog.


The water was down and I set a good looking spread in the channel with the jerk rig right in the middle. It came in handy because the water was placid and that was the only thing that moved.  Fred and Cliffy were hunting the Mighty Columbia at the same time and the competition was on.  Good thing no ducks flew anywhere near me because I never wanted to finish off a whole box of shells this year.  It will be so rewarding to use them for the next 3 years as they rust and deteriorate in my gear bag.

I did take a nice picture of the sunshine that soon gave way to rain.  I pulled up the set after I could not take anymore of the dismal duck flights that day.  In a perfect H7HT moment, as I took my final picture of the season, the one with all my gear getting packed up to head back to the shed, whistling wings alerted me to the pair of mallards flying in an arc behind me looking for a place to land.  Sweet.

Have a great summer everyone and, GBCH.

No comments: