Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Duck Boat?

This whole not working a lot thing is perfect for getting in some great early season hunting.  I called Clider and we made a plan for yesterday morning.  He had several places he had scouted and wanted to go and I figured that, even though I'm The Expert, he should chose.  All of them were off the Medimont boat ramp or on Killarey lake and all new to me.  My only suggestion was that any place we go not involve a prolonged trip in the boat.  No open water.  No lakes or rivers.  But other than that I was up for anyplace at all he wanted to go, anyplace.

When we puled into the parking lot for The Point once again other hunters were there in front of us.  Clider blamed my regularity for our late arrival and our only other choice was clear.  We were off to The Blind.  We set up a fantastic looking spread with 2 jerk rigs and 2 spinners just in time for shooting time.  I let Clider do all the early shooting as I took a few minutes to relax and take in the beauty of the calm and foggy morning.  After he had a couple ducks in the blind I decided it was time to show him how The Expert known as Bob D does things.  The mallards came from the right and I beaded up the greenhead and shot at just the right time to down 2 at once.  I was worried at first that I had shotten a hen but it turned out to be two greenies after all.  I did have the need to down a wounded henny later in the morning but the first double I've had in years felt great being two green headed bastards.

2 for 1
Later as Clider went for a walk I one shotted a widgeon just because I promised him that I would.  The sun came out and the action slowed and we decided to call it and head back home to clean ducks.  I'll let Clider tell you about the large number of ducks he took home but the 3 that left with me became duck snacks and are now on their way to feed friends.  The greenie I shot the other day went into a recipe my Sweetie got from a co-worker.  I'm not going to pass this recipe on for good reason.  I hope to remain The Expert for a bit as I go off on vacation but with a fantastic early season here in Idaho, and the Oregon chapter about to start their killing spree, I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.
GBCH

No comments: