Monday, November 28, 2016

Meat Shopping


Cyber Monday? Doubtful.
The holiday season is upon us and all the good consumers of The Merica' are out shopping for things they need. Well, I needed a little peace and quiet. The forecast called for snow and cold and what better way to take advantage of Cyber Monday than getting up extra early to drive through a snow storm to a duck blind? I woke to rain and no snow but by the time I got to the highway exit my luck changed. The roads got worse and I realized that I need better tires on the Jeep, but even with the slush I made it to The Blind with plenty of time.

Early morning perfection
The conditions were perfect and I made an effort to not disturb any snow cover as I set my decoys and settled into the blind. Dakotas looking great and the jerk rig was stretched out to nearly max length. The water was still so I knew that the jerk rig would come in handy and I planned on using it more than my calls. The recent article I read about changing up your calls (not your calling but your actual calls) made me break out 'ole raspy' for the day. I have been less than impressed by the effect my calling has so I figured to try more motion, less calling. The Blind looked great, matching all the other snowy reeds, and I tucked myself into the corner.  I even brought my white cover jacket to match the part snow, part reeds look that surrounded me. Once again I was invisible.

Unfortunately my invisibility made no difference. The ducks just weren't near me. I had a passing shot on a widgeon that I missed and another couple that flew by to take a look I didn't see until too late. In fact, the only good shot I had was the 5 ducks coming in that I missed because I was texting. I had the phone in my hand and pulled the trigger while still holding it so it wouldn't be dropped into the water. Obviously I missed. Not long after the rain/snow stopped I pulled up and headed back for a sammy and a chance to retrieve my Mojo charger from the palatial estate we had stayed at last week. It was incredibly difficult to overcome all the security measures built into the home but somehow I prevailed.

On the way home I started feeling guilty about not asking Clider if he wanted to join me but later I got a text from him implying that he had slayed some ducks somewhere else today. Maybe he should feel guilty about not asking me? Well, there's always next week.
GBCH


No comments: