Saturday, November 12, 2016

Warm Water Weakness

It's been a while but now I'm back.
A quick trip back East to help get things done and some time back home to get the winter season started and now I'm ready to hunt. This morning I headed out to Anderson on a Saturday and was a little apprehensive about pressure form other hunters. Clider did not accompany me because he is a busy man. That and the fact I just spent 4 solid days in a car or trade show booth with him made it ok for me to have a little time solo in the blind but I had to wonder how much trouble I would have finding an empty space. I had no need to worry. Other than the guy in the F350 who blew by me at 70 in a 50 zone I was entirely alone. I chose The Blind.

The water is higher than I have ever seen this time of year. I'm sure it's higher than when we built The Blind weeks ago, it's up to inches from the seat of the bench. I carefully unpacked my gear and set my Dakotas and jerk rig and sat down to wait and think. The majority of my thinking had to do with how I have been bragging about how my waterproof breathable waders have lasted for years, which seldom happens. The day I had to sit in 2 feet of water my right boot decided to give up the fight. The beginning of the end for sure. I did have a nice time listening to the ducks wake up around me and as I mentioned I was all alone.

My phone has options!
A whitetail grazed behind me and he must have been worried about the cougar as well cause when I spun around to confront the death kitty the deer bolted too. A few morning sets flew by and the rain fell but for the most part ducks weren't moving at all. There's a lot of water around and the temps are stupidly warm so they really have no reason to fly. The wildlife preserve on the other side of the river was bursting with greenies, I could hear them but they stayed put. Then, around 9am another hunter showed up and set right by the spot that Clider and I hunted earlier in the year. His calling was horrendous and what he thought was a goose call sounded like Felix Unger. I pulled up and headed out.

On the way I stopped and checked out a rustic house that may just save me hours of driving for the Founders Tour coming up in less that a week. Clider knows some people who have a rustic cabin right in Harrison and I'm going to place a call tomorrow to try to secure it for a few nights. Did I mention it's rustic?
GBCH


No comments: