Sunday, December 04, 2016

The Rain Song. Oregon Chapter part II



(no pictures due to the driving rain)
Cliffy and Waylon pick me up at 5:30 to head out to our awesome spot out on the Columbia.  We make it to the gate and out to the  water, I set up a sweet blind on the Point a few doors down from the CFTK day.  Cliffy sets a great spread. We hunker down and wait for the opening bell trying to keep whatever we can dry.  Clider glides by in his kayak and Waylon wants him for a retrieve.  Ducks are everywhere.  Mallards dropping into our spread and then the bell goes off.  Just after the bell a set of green head bastards and their bitches drop in, Cliffy raises his fire arm and drops a green head bastard and his woman with two swift shots, Waylon knows what to do and does.  Another fine double retrieve by the pup.  My turn I'm thinking.  Then another set drop in, three in two leave, the pup is now working overtime and brings me back a green head bastard, what a sight.  This is the day we have been waiting for.  The weather is pushing ducks down from the north, it's like it's working by itself.  The driving rain is cold and a soaking us but we don't care. We are in the middle of it and it is great!  Widgeon are everywhere! 8 drop in from the left where I am sitting but I'm not there for Greenies half bi-polar cousins but it was just took easy and tasty, I raise my Italian harpoon and take two with three shots, both drakes. Did I mention that it is going off!  You can see that it  is starting to snow in the higher elevation, what more could happen?   Starting to seem as though it's drying up even though the rain is pounding us.  Cliffy's second set of gloves are soaked I'm chilled to the bone and so is the pup.  I decide to walk over to the cove with the pup to see if anything is doing.  I'm gone five minutes and I hear Cliffy calling with the whistle, they love the whistle.  I don't know how many widgeon there were but I did see one fall from the sky.  Waylon immediately leaves my side, he knows where he's needed.  I continue to the back side of the cove.  The rain and wind are blowing in my face.  I sneak around the corner and spy a his and hers trying to hide from the H7HT and get out of the blustery weather.  I jump them and the hen is in the front but today is her lucky day, I'm here to pass judgement on her man and so I do.  I sentence him to death.  I make it back to the blind and Cliffy is just smiling.  I notice that there is an "extra" duck in the blind.  Great he shotten a 2fer.  This day is totally unbelievable.  Possibly the best day ever had by the H7HT in Oregon.  Ducks are still flying, but nothing seems to want to commit anymore.  What did I learn on the Founders Tour?  Change the spread, so I did.  With the weather so bad I huddle the blocks together and even pull some out.  About 10 minutes later 6 green head bastards drop in and 4 leave, a team slay!  What hasn't this day had?  About 45 minutes passes and now it truly is drying up, the sun is breaking through and it seems like a good time to pull it up while the rain has stopped, plus we are chock full of ducks to clean.  I get home brew a pot of coffee drop in some baileys and clean some ducks.  Now reality sets in.  See 11.13.16 and insert here.




No comments: