Tuesday, January 09, 2018

The last Day of Hunting......... Ever.

I don't get to hunt anymore.
With the season drawing to a close I don't have any opportunity to go out and become 'The Expert' at all. See, I broke two of my fifty eight ribs in a work related accident.  As a matter of fact I don't even get to do my new found job of making snow safe for beginner skiers either, but that's a story for another day. Broken ribs are painful, annoying and just plain stupid.  Maybe the worst part of this terrible ending is that even if I wanted to, (and I do) I can't participate in this years Killin' for The King ceremonies. A time for Bob D. to travel to P-Town and see all my old haunts and shoot Greenies hanging in mid air.  Right in front of me. With a gun that works. It's just plain sad.

What's maybe more sad is my last day out was totally uneventful.  Not a problem at the time but I really thought that I would have another month to slay birds. I went in the kayak out to The Tip and sat at a blind that other hunters made.  It was huge.  I actually showed up early enough to watch them pull up to the parking spot in front of the bridge and spotlight me with their headlamps.  I'm sure they were thinking that they were going to the new blind but they arrived in time only to see me setting up.  I even shined my incredibly powerful headlamp at them a time or two just to let them know I was there, and they were not.  Bitches.

Nothing happened at all.  But it was a beautiful day and I never even considered it would be my last.  If only I had known.  I'm also including a picture of Clider after shooting a fat goose from my 2nd to last day of hunting.  Turns out that he has lost all confidence in himself after my accident.  He's like a child devoid of ability and will.  You can tell he hasn't done anything like hunting because he would certainly have posted a story or two if he had.  So sad that he needs me to show him the way. You would think that a weepy weak adolescent boy that had been 'The Expert' so many times could get his shit together enough to go out by himself.  Maybe next year Clider, maybe next year.

So at this point I realize that my ribs will not heal enough to let me get in one more day for the season and that makes me sad.  I love my time in the blind. It's a kind of therapy for me but unfortunately not a therapy for broken bones.  Enjoy it while you can cause you never know when you can't.
GBCH

No comments: