Monday, December 03, 2007

Day Nine

Ever wake up in the morning and say "It's Going To Be A GREAT Day!'? That was day nine. Lisa is sick and so was I. You see my folks were out visiting from Connecticut for the holidays, they come out to visit at least 2-3 times a year that makes me feel pretty special. Anyway today is a Wednesday hunt, so last night I took the night off from work and spent it with my Dad and a man named Chucker at the local Eagles club playing Texas No-Limit Poker. What a glorious night it was, knowing that Lisa was in the hospital and that Bob would be driving us in the Volvo I decided to part take in a little holiday cheer should I say, I was hanging with Mr. Jack Daniels until about 1:30 in the a.m. I won 420 dollars by the way. Being a Sauvies day Bob will be picking me up at 4 a.m which means I would have to wake up at 3:30, you do the math. Needles to say I felt pretty special. After a few instances with "a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ash tray" we pull up to the non-reservation line. Did I mention that last week was turkey day? I cooked a lovely braised rabbit served over fresh egg noodles. Well as we pull around the corner we noticed there are not a lot of cars in line, as a matter of fact there are no cars in line, because of the holiday the hunt days were upped by one day. Remember how special I feel. Well we decide to drive out to Twin Falls which is a good hour away. We get to Twin Falls which has only one good aspect to it, the walk in is only 7 minutes. I think we have only seen I duck up to this point and I folded it, remember the beautiful wood duck last year? I nap. Wake up. Feel better. Scare off the only other two ducks we have ever seen there. Drink some. Pack up and decide for the unprecedented 3 stop hunting day, we decide to stop at the Old New Spot. We get out to a really nice blind out on the point of a small island, have some drink and some lunch. Big mistake. I take about a 2 mile hike down a slough and poke my head out the other side of a burm. About a dozen red heads and they are big. I raise my Benelli Super Black Eagle they take off, I lower my gun, not knowing whether or not I would be able to retrieve the three ducks I would have folded I decided not to pull the trigger. (That one was for you grampa Clyde) Besides they flew down the slough about 200 yards towards the blind we have set up, so I decide to keep pushing them towards the blind and I know Bob will fold one of them for sure. As I am pushing them I come across the biggest greenie I have ever seen, he was with his woman. I again jump them and I have the greenie in my bead. Again, grampa Clyde was with me, I was uncertain that I could retrieve. 10 dollars through my finger never felt so bad but so good at the same time. So remember we had lunch and some drink before my two mile adventure? I keep pressing these birds up the slough towards are blind, and finally over our blind. Nothing. Not even a call. Nothing. I get back to the blind and the man is asleep.
.
Word Out From The Old Side
.
Fred G.

No comments: