Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Idaho: Day 14


This morning was foggy with a heavy wet snow falling. Dallas once again could not make the trip to Anderson Lake and I was alone but had a plan for the day. Since the last outing went so well without calling I chose not to use my formidable calling skills to bring the greenies in. I would let them come to me. They did not. In fact the only ducks I saw were flying way over my head and did not even look my way. Maybe if I had a duck call?

While getting colder and wetter some geese decided to check out my area. They made two passes around my left flank and settled in on the ground about 50 - 60 yards away. I watched them as they rested. On the outside of the group members stood guard, awake and alert to any danger. Those geese in the middle took a head under the wing nap. Off in the distance I noticed a fox out on the lake ice seemingly unaware of the geese, maybe he was not interested. After another 1/2 hour I was sufficiently cold and wet enough and decided to pack it up. I got up to go and the geese immediately started squawking and took flight away from me across the lake. As I watched them go I noticed the fox, now about 20 yards from the geese in the brush. He looked at me and trotted away. Sorry Dude.

GBCH

No comments: