Friday, November 26, 2010

Eat at Effies and Bust


Sorry for the delay on this one but I'm still having a heck of a time acquiring the original photos, so I am forced to use other peoples. While fishing southern Idaho this past year we drove past this place called Effie Burgers, I thought I recognized it from a popular TV show Man Vs Food. They are supposed to be famous for what else but their burgers. I thought awesome a good burger tonight would be great. Well we pull up front and walk in and immediately I know it's not that place. What the hell lets go we are starved. We sit down at a 6 stool bar and they have 3 more tables, a small hole it the wall. Waitress brings menus over and immediately we see that "damn these burgers are expensive." I'm thinking well they have to be really good and because it is a small town they have to make up the lack of business by charging more. Hamburger was $10.00, cheeseburger was $12.00, double cheeseburger was $14.00 and a Effie Burger with the works was $17.00!! There is a half burger for $7.00. They also serve Tots, Waffle, and Steak Fries as well as onion rings. Our guide "Steve" orders the half burger, he is cheap and old. Cliffy orders up a cheeseburger and I'm hungry so I order up a double cheeseburger. Sucker must have been written all over our faces, she could

see us coming a mile away. Pictured to the left is a single cheeseburger, could feed 3-4 people easy. Mine a double came on a 10" plate, could not see the plate, and when I inquired how much it weighed she replied "the burger weighs 2 pounds before cooking, then there is 12 slices of American cheese, pickles, onions, lettuce, the special sauce and the bun." While ordering she never once said "you guys must be real hungry cause that's a lot of food!" This is where the owners motto must be: Let the tourist order up all they want , it will make up for the lack of business. My next question is "has anyone ever finished one of these bad boys?" To she replied, "once, a local high school football kid." Bring me another beer in a mason jar I cried, IT'S ON! I take my sweatshirt off and roll up my sleeves, I portion the monster into 4 pieces to make it more manageable. Well, I would like to report that I finished the whole thing, I didn't, but I would have if they at least gave me a t-shirt or put my name on a wall or something. The dream died on the table 3 bites short. I must say though, the burger was fantastic, very fresh ingredients and a nice bun. Fries and onion rings were also very good. Beer in a frosted mason jar out of a chest freezer in the dining room. The service was what you would expect, a cute high school girl grossed out by some old man trying to outlive his youth. The next morning I gave birth to beautiful baby boy. The worst part was for the whole rest of the trip I had to listen to "Pat" our guide call me Hamburger.


1 comment:

Bob said...

I could eat two.