Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hunting the Elusive Yellow Jacket



Not long ago I decided to clean out the eaves of my cabin here in the great state of Idaho. I went in armed with a respirator and a headlamp and started pulling out the debris of generations past. Although I hoped to find a bar of pure silver or perhaps some krugerrands what I found was mostly old HS yearbooks and plumbing supplies. (Al, he's a plumber and he's into plumbing). After successfully clearing a path to the back of the eaves I pulled aside some insulation and an old dresser drawer and saw a massive yellow jacket nest and a lone YJ flying my way. It was fairly cold so his progress was slow at best. I crushed him. I looked back at the nest and saw a scene from WWII as a line of YJ's made their way down the side of the nest and, one by one, took flight in my direction. I got out as quick as possible.





Flash forward to a couple days ago. Temps in the single digits and a good day for killin'. I returned to the eves armed with a bucket and shovel. This is what I removed from the far corner. Nobody home except a couple of dead stragglers but as you can see, a fine nest with room for the whole family. Next up are some Greenies. Be ready.




2 comments:

Greenie said...

You should bring the shovel and bucket hunting, maybe more better hunting. But overall glad to see ya killin something cause the OR chapter aint doing nothing, Maybe tomorrow, Old Old Spot with Cliffy V. Speaking of Cliffy, why he don't write about his hunting day on Friday? Aks him.

Greenie said...

I do think though that Chucker has the "elusive" yellow vest