Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Idaho: Day.... The end?


7 Degrees above zero when I left the house this morning to head out to Anderson Lake and as I drove I had no idea what to expect. Holiday work season and a protracted road closure prevented me from hunting for the last few weeks, bummer. I considered some factors while I drove through starry skies. The main one being weather or not there would be any open water to hunt. It's been cold here, real cold. Nothing to do but find out for myself.

After leaving the parking lot with my full pack (I briefly considered leaving most of my decoys in the truck) I could see the CdA river was covered in ice but looked clear by the inlet to Anderson. Being careful to avoid the cougar on the way I made it to the point to find a perfect water set up. The levels had dropped significantly from the last time I was out and the beaver dam had even tried to sneak back to its original spot. Light clouds were starting to move in as I set up in the pre-dawn darkness. My decoys looked great in the light breeze and had a nice swimming motion from the water leaving the lake trough the channel.

It's a good thing the d
ecoys looked great, they would be the only thing I had to monitor. A couple divers swam by my spread, not even bothering to fly in, but that was it. No ducks anywhere at all. By the time my fingers started to freeze I packed up and headed home. A beautiful morning but it seems all the ducks have gone elsewhere. I'm guessing they all went to Portland, so that's where I'm going too. Stay tuned for the adventures of the HOY7 Hunting Team over MLK weekend. Yep, that's right. Killin' for the King is back and Bob D. would never let the team down for what has proven to be some of the best hunting PDX has to offer.
GBCH.

No comments: