Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Columbia




The Mighty Columbia

Riding the mighty Columbia today started on the 14 going east.  Last month coming home from Canada I rode 14 going West and I must say what difference direction makes.  Today I had a spicy wind at my back and last month I had a stiffy in my face for 50 miles, barely able to keep it on the road, constantly turning right of left just to go straight.  Ouch.  Waiting...Waiting...Waiting.  Why, why is it that people see a fine red motor bike and they want to race?  The 14 is an awesome road but it is also a crap shoot.  Weather perfect, clear and hot.  Just past Washougal WA. the road gets real fun, but you have to be well positioned.  It's easy to get stuck behind a 18 wheeler avoiding rt. 84, or just some slow folk.  Today was green almost all the way.  A late 90's Ford Explorer decided it would be a good idea to, try, to race.  They all think they could keep up and manuver like a bike.  When a bike is behind you, you may think we are riding your ass, were not, we can go faster than you and we are looking for a safe, opportune,  time to pass.  Were not trying to evoke a race, so why? Why?  Well I believe the Explorers' driver now has a warm fudge pie in his pants.  When two wheels came off the ground he realized he was in over his head.  He pulled over and changed his pants.  The rest of 14 was awesome I even ran into a Harley guy who's oil plug fell out.  Then it was on to Rt. 97.  Rt. 97 is an awesome road of high plains riding with views of Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood and the Three Sisters.  The road is in great shape, with some twists and 3 or 4 small towns.  Today it was very hot, hot I say! It was there I wanted to try out the Navigate app. on my phone. I gathered a little information for you to peruse.  Enjoy, I did.  From there it was on to Rt. 197, Rt. 216 to Rt. 26 to home.  301 miles today in about 5 1/2 hours give or take a few stops.
Rt. 197 




Oh yeah almost forgot, two weeks in a row now almost killed by a DWA.  Why is it that I could go 294
miles and no problems?  Swear to Heston I'm thinking it's time to carry a bag of hammers.









No comments: