Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Forrest fire in MY TOWN!

I'm driving to the lumber yard to see about a couple of beams for my new tree fort. About halfway there I see a plume of smoke coming from the center of town and think to myself 'this ain't good'. Driving up to the smoke I passed a few people looking at the fire and was able to come all the way into Uptown Kellogg where I saw the blaze just starting to be a major problem. it was an out of control ground fire that occasionally erupted a tree in full fire frenzy. No sirens and no police were there at that point but the townspeople were spectating and protecting their homes with garden hoses from the flames. They were about 50 feet from the highest houses on the hill and the wind was blowing form the west. As I watched the wind shifted to the East and several trees exploded into flame.

Fortunately the fire crews arrived and the police cordoned off the streets. Not long after a couple of NFS trucks pulled in and began to take charge. I watched as 4 wheelers and bucket loaders made their way up to the fire. Meanwhile it was burning a path to the gondola line. Not Good!.





Currently the flames have burned 50 acres and are not under control but helicopters are dropping fire retardant and water on the flames. Silver mountain has been running the gondola to prevent any cabins from getting scorched by the flames and so far noting has been compromised. Our cabin is about a mile from the flames but my livelihood relies on the gondola to be running next week. Brewsfest is happening on Saturday and I plan to be drinking a frosty delicious beverage on the top of the hill then.

Only Heston knows the outcome at this point but I hear multiple helicopters buzzing around as I write this and can only hope for the best. send your donations to the H7HT fire fund. P.O. Box 777 kellogg ID. Thanks for your concern.

GBCH

2 comments:

Greenie said...

See what happens when you have a cross burning and don't prepare.

Anonymous said...

I heard the house that burned down was the only black family in town, and the the mexican family living in the tent in the backyard are also now homeless. Sad.