Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oregon Chapter Day Two Part 2






Since we are staying we discuss the option of maybe moving to see some new looksies.  Fast notes that the clouds are moving in pretty fast which is going to make hunting that much better.  We check out and check back in again into Hunt 9.  I've never been and Fast has only been there once and he enjoyed it.  It's a short walk to your own pond dug into cornfield, it looks awesome your birds are your birds to work!  The sky's are darkening and it's now about 1pm.  Fast now announces 2:30 it's going to go off.  Where does he get this?  He has not been the Expert for many years.  We sit and wait, a few quick fly bys and 1 or 2 committed. It's now 2:00, he announces it again, this time I say it "better cause we are out of here at 2:31 if not".  2:31 I say that's it, Fast pleads for more time I say if we get a flurry like earlier I will stay for 15 more minutes.  Wouldn't you know it, it goes off!  Fast is at it again!  I'm even in the game!  All day long I've been mentioning to Fast the importance of NOT shooting over my head.  So I'm working on calling, gun nowhere near me, a bird flys into the spread feet down and Fast screams "TAKE IT FRED TAKE IT!!"  I'm like what?  My gun is nowhere near me I'm not the one standing with my gun drawn.  Fast pleads with me I grab my gun put a a shot over it, it turns and I hit it with second shot, (I saw red) just at that moment Fast puts a shot over my shoulder, I'm like "DUDE!"  Fast said "I thought you needed some help."  I head out to retrieve my Wigeon and with the walk out I watch and listen to many ducks circling the blind wanting us, "damn I'm in the wrong place!" I think to myself. I make it back and another 30 minutes of some good flying we call it.  What a great full day on Sauvies.  Have not done that in a long time, and to top it off there were very respectable hunters out today which made it so much better, and the fact that I'm an Expert for a day feels pretty good too.

No comments: