Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day Four Idaho-Oregon Chapters




Full moon again.  Today was a "blind" day.  The most awesomest ever, the blind that is and the day was not too shabby either.  We re-invented the roto with a metal post that would bring the roto higher off the water and sink more easily.  We are throwing out 22 blocks now plus the roto so our spread is looking good.  Being the two co-founders we still had first greenie monies between the two of us tradition and all, I'm sure Bob will be handing Cliffy V. his five bucks come the Kings weekend.  Morning flys are becoming more and more transparent that the full moon is affecting the hunts.  It seems every day shots are taken, at least all opportunity is not fully lost.  Speaking of Lost how did everyone enjoy the series finally?  Within one of the opportunities a set of ducks came in pretty hot, I was unable to identify them as fast as Bob and I did not want to clean another Teal, although very tasty just not worth the effort.  So I stayed off this set but Bob jumped on them good.  He folded a real nice hen Shoveler with two shots and it landed on shore so retrieve was easy peasy.  Soon after a set of Mallards came in I shot twice and folded an immature Drake, it went splash.  Needles to say when it goes splash or splat for that matter it's an easy retrieve.  A few more shots were taken, and I did have an opportunity at a nice goose.  All week my mouth was watering at the thought of folding a goose, being Idaho no rules, did not need no stinking test.  Geese were flying right in us and low enough to take a shot.  They came in on my side, "Bob I'm taking one."  First shot dead on, I saw red, it flinched.  "WHAT!"  I said.  Then another shot, dead red.  It flinched again, the third shot was up it's ass so I thought.  Nothing.  I guess 2 3/4 inch shells with 2 shot does not cut the mustard, or fold a goose.  The day ended and as we walked out we talked about how our shots were getting better, we were taking our time, looking down the barrel, seeing red.  Folding not winging.  Jack and Coke anyone?



No comments: