Friday, November 25, 2011

Oregon Day Eight



Greenie Smoked with Apple Wood
Day eight was a Thursday, Thanksgiving. With E7 out with the stones, Furious, TJ and I made it out to the Old Spot. We left at 4:45 and arrived to find mucho trucks in parking lot. The walk out I smelled it.  We reach the water, it's up. Last week when we were out there it measured 2.75 feet it was now up to 8.75 feet, there was also many people setting up blinds. Furious and I decided to wade around to the back or top of the point, no opportunity to just float the bags out there. After slipping and falling in the water, I submerged my gun again for the second day in a row, and now I'm soaked up to my elbows. Furious finds a cherry spot on top of the point. We have awesome coverage we were surrounded by water and there is a gravel shelve that went out for what seemed a good 30-40 yards so we were able to get the blocks far out there but made it almost impossible to put Leroy in. Pre-shooting flight was lite but as soon as the sun made it's way over Hood they picked up, mostly Mallards. A half hour or so into shooting time about 8 greenis fly into the spread, Leroy made them want us and my new flocked blocks sealed the deal. With landing gear fully down over my blocks we jump and with one shot I fold one and in the same breath I turn my sights onto another greenie bastard, I let loose the Benelli once more but nothing, looking back on it I should have emptied it. Furious emptied his gun with no luck and when they were gone I retrieved my prize, number 7 a greenie. The morning gave more excellent looks but no more shots. The sky's were turning pitch black and we decided to high tail it out of there. Then the expected happened. Goes a little something like this........ We were pulling our blocks and a set of 10 mallards wanted to land and then a set of 3, all while our guns were on shore, unloaded. I plucked the greenie and smoked it with my Thanksgiving Day turkey.  Delish.



No comments: