Friday, November 25, 2011

Oregon Day Seven



Day seven was a Wednesday afternoon hunt at Sauvies.  I arrive at the check in station at about 12:45 and by 1:15 I'm on my way to Johnson 3.  Never really hunted Johnson before so it was some good scouting opportunity as well and walking out in day light was a plus.  I get to the turn off point for my blind area and I am immediately greeted by water, lots.  It was a long grueling walk with my 50 pound pack in thigh high water for about 300 yards.  There are no blinds but hunting areas, you find your post with your assigned number an set up  at it or 30 yards around it.  Found my spot to set up camp, it was difficult considering your still standing in that thigh high water.  Set my blocks out as best I could and stood and waited standing in the water with a light rain.  I know what you all are thinking "damn that don't sound like no fun!"  Well this is hunting not an amusement park honey, I've got guys behind me whom want my Expert title so you have to get out there. Some promising fly by's and I realize that ideally  you really need some kind of motion decoy to bring them in, otherwise your just plain ole pass shooting.  Two hours pass and I have to split, I have a Tom in the oven and I have got to get home.  I learned that packing you decoys that float into a bag floating in water is almost impossible.  It was then it struck me, "float", the bag floats.  The 300 yard walk back to dry land was a snap towing my bag behind me.  I guess that's why I'm the Expert.

No comments: