Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day Eighteen Oregon



Hit play and enjoy some Mr. Cash while you read on.

Hunting continues here in the great state of Oregon, and water is up as expressed in the lyrics embedded in this song  "5 Feet High and Rising."  North unit flooded.  Old Spot flooded.  Old New Spot? who knows but I'm assuming flooded.  Not being a Sauvies day we need somewhere to go, it's the second to last day we'll be hunting for Heston sake!  We'll knowledge is power my friends, I got a secret little spot that is perfect.  It's only good when it floods and usually only waste high so retrieving birds is not an issue, only question is would there be birds.  We come upon the spot with a lot of time to spare, gives us time to build some personal blinds and set the best looking blocks out.  Strong winds from the East with light showers is how we started the morning off.  A few pre-shooting fly by's was a great sign as well.  Time to kill.  Some ducks swim through our spread and Cliffy thinks our blocks are being swept away by the gale force winds.  Then Greenie himself flys in with a guest, they circle and then land about 30 yards out.  I know what you all are saying "30 yards out that's close enough to take them down Fred G.!"  It's like he put a spell on me, I looked into his eye and saw a bright light and I could not pull my trigger, I froze.  So he hung out for 15 minutes and chilled and ate some breakfast with his guest.  The wind and rain both picked up walks were necessary to warm up.  I hiked down to the river to check it out.  It's up to the high bank, same place it was a year ago when Bob and I hunted out there.  I got back and Cliffy made his way out.  Well wouldn't you know it as soon as he leaves a Pinny flys in, close enough I could have hit it with a baseball.  Again, there was like a JarJar spell on me, "pull the trigger you don't want."   Well now the rain and wind are in full force, nothing is flying and the biggest, not the best, sammy's couldn't even entice ducks to fly, we call it.  Today was perfect, well almost, wind, rain, slightly cold, just too much darn water out there for ducks to settle into.

No comments: