Monday, July 23, 2012

Yes, it's a 1948 motor.  And yes, I bought it form a redneck in a trailer park.  So even though it ran well enough to get us form the boat launch to the island and back I was still circumspect that it needed work.  I bought a book called 'Cheap Outboards: The Beginner's Guide to Making an Old Motor Run Forever.'
That's where the fun began. 


Chapter 2 talked about what old outboard not to buy and lo and behold, there it was.  The 1948 Hiawatha.  Originally sold by Gimbels. Seems that the OMC Motor Co. manufactured both Envinrude and Johnson motors and also made motors for just about every department store and auto parts dealer under different names.  Envinrude and Johnson live on today and parts are available in spades but the Hiawatha brand has the distinction of having no parts in common with any other OMC brands.  Lucky me.  


So today I went through the motor as best I could and looked at all the things that could easily be replaced.  Plugs, OK. Gas lines and plug lines, OK.  Grease ports, OK.  Screws that turn, OK.  Gas cap, OK.
So here I am wondering when something will go wrong. According to the book I bought it's only a matter of time before the impeller or the magneto/points blow up in a cloud of parts/smoke. Only one thing to do....


Camo paint!  That's right, I painted the top of the motor.  At the very least it made me feel better that when it leaves me stranded in the middle of the lake I can feel good that it will blend well with the rest of the boat I'm rowing towards the nearest shore. Wish me luck as tomorrow is the next trip.  We will be putting in at Miedimont and heading upriver towards the lower Killarney outlet, an area supposedly rich in early season ducks.  I will scout out the potential and hope for an easy ride back to the truck.  Heston Bless Us.

No comments: