Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Flock U.

That's right, a college level course on decoy flocking was taught in my garage this weekend.  Fred G was in town to participate in some sporting events and see if he could beat me at my home course in golf.  He also happens to be the man with the knowledge on how to flock and Clider wanted to learn.  We gathered together bunches of decoys and adult beverages and set about flocking the heads on almost all the greenie decoys in the fleet.  The first picture shows the difference between the flocked on the left and un-flocked on the right.  You can see that the flocked decoy looks more realistic and less shiny than the other, leading more ducks to believe it's the real thing.  And you know what they say about ducks.  Fool them once shame on me, fool them twice, not necessary because they are dead.  (I believe that the the Zen Philosopher Basho once said that.)  In addition to Flock University we discussed the new rules for the upcoming season, most of which I have forgotten already, and generally had a fine time getting ready for the opener.

This post is also about 'ass kicking' too.  See, when Fred G. and I get together there are usually some competitive events planned.  Not because we are competitive but more in the spirit of having a winner and a loser.  This way someone is always duty bound to make drinks.  On day one Fred G. did the ass kicking.  He beat me in 18 holes of golf on my home course after not having played for some time.  He also kicked my ass in darts the night before which gave him an equalizing lead in strokes even before the golf started.  The rain on the course held off and we had a fine time at the beautiful Galena Ridge course.  You should have seen my tee shot on #5, it was enthralling.

Day two was Bob D's turn to kick some ass.  We picked up Clider and went to shoot sporting clays down on the Palouse.  Clider and I were tied going into the last station but he eeked out a victory as we both bested Fred's score.  Sporting clays are also a great way to prepare for the shooting opportunities that will be presenting themselves in just 2 1/2 short weeks.  Later that night I also schooled him in Ducey and I think I won at adult beverages too.  On day three the rain prevented any further competitions so we learned about the subtle differences between 'good' zombies and 'bad' zombies by watching Brad Pitt save the world.

Now it's back to work and time to start preparing for the 2013 season opener.  Maybe if you are very lucky Clider will tell you about his boat.  Then again.....



No comments: