Thursday, October 17, 2013

Idaho 10-17-13



Bob D. here.  Got me a bonus day off today from working hard all week for The Man and you know where I was going.  Clider had to go to meetings or some garbage like that so I loaded up the trusty Swedish hunting vehicle and headed out bright and early.  Good thing I went Swedish this morning too, missing the big elk standing dead center in my lane, around the curve, in the fog, at 50mph would have been nearly impossible in the truck.  I was wide awake after that and both the kitty and the raccoon that attempted suicide seemed trivial afterwards.  I expected stars when I got to the parking lot at Anderson but I had high clouds and light fog, perfect considering the full moon I never even checked for that was shining brightly when I left home.  Time to load up a Cougar Shell and get going.  I'm not sure if it was me or the cougar that scared up the large group of geese resting in the bay but the ruckus was a welcome noise in the blackness of morning.  Stuff was here.

We had checked The Point last week and knew that all it needed was a quick freshen up to be ready for the year so I cut some brush to cover the stakes that were obvious and did a quick check to make sure everything looked right.  One goose decoy went far to the right as far out in the open water as seemed prudent.  He was the confidence block and also a reminder to any ducks coming from the backside that the bay was a good place to be. Twelve mallards went to the left backed by the spinner that I left in the off setting, no need for the noise and distraction of that guy until the sun was shining.  I settled in and toasted the breezy chill of the morning air.  I also had time to remember how quiet and peaceful it is on The Point in the predawn darkness, kind of like duck hunting Church, so I toasted Lord Heston too.  Ducks were waking up and making noise about 300 yards further up the lake on the left shoreline and I was feeling good about my choice.

I learned something about myself this morning.  Something I already seemed to know.  My name is Bob DaFolder and I only shoot Greenies.
Divers were landing in and around the spread, doing their little dance where they swim dive and splash around, and I welcomed the movement in the area.  A few bigger ducks came by but seemed disinterested and after a bit I moved my decoys further out into the open and turned the spinner on.  I watched the first set of 3 circle in and I looked for the telltale green head but I saw only brown.  They landed outside the blocks and one peeled away and swam into my decoys.  I watched as she slowly swam up to another hen decoy and lightly peck the body of the fake with her bill. She recoiled after the tap and looked confused.  I expected her to fly away but she just started to eat and swim within my decoys, soon after she tried the peck again only to have the same reaction.  A pair of mallards circled in from the right and the hen landed but the drake moved off and left her to join the other. Then the two hens from before came swimming back and they all had a nice breakfast while chatting and mingling with my blocks.  I could have jump shot and taken down at least one of them, they were just 10 to 15 yards away, but I wanted Greenie,  Minutes later the drake swam over from who knows where and the hens were only too glad to join him.  Perfect I thought, but he immediately started to take them in the other direction and I knew I had to move or lose them.  I jumped. They jumped. I shot, three times.  They flew.

All hell broke loose then as all the divers and all the other ducks on the lake took to the air.  I had missed my chance but I knew they would be back.  Ten minutes later a lone hen comes in locked up straight away.  I did not shoot.  She starts the dance all over again and I wait for the Greenie that never comes.  Shortly after the sun breaks through the clouds and everything stops.  I head for the sammy back at the car and a nice afternoon couch nap without a duck to show for my day. It was perfect anyway.
I am Bob DaFolder and I only shoot Greenies.
GBCH


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is that a 12 gauge staple gun? how do you fold greenies with that?