Monday, October 27, 2014

Oregon Day One



The sun broke today



Well I could just cut and paste last years first day and the year before that.  I  could just "phone" it in.  But what else do I have to do?  

Forecast called for rain and they were not lying.  Cliffy picks me up at 5:30 and we head out to the Columbia.  Waylon decided to sleep in today.  We arrive at the lot and there are three trucks already vacated.  We unload and another pulls up and a young man jumps out of his truck eager to chat.  He's dropping on us what it was like to hunt there two years ago and how it's changed.  Asking questions as to where we were headed.  We didn't really have time to answer all of the young whipper snappers questions, we wished him luck and were on our way.  We make it to where the water is supped to be.  There is a large river now flowing past the original Old spot, impossible to hunt now due to the swift deep water , not to mention the debris floating by.  The water level was at 5.2 which in the past meant some decent water, but no more.
Old Old spot many years ago
We walk out on all I describe as a beach.  We walk around the point and find some decent water, a peninsula with a little growth on it, "I can build here" I thought.  Cliffy threw out the blocks and I built a pretty good blind if I do say so myself.  We settle in with 10 minutes left before cilling time.  Morning rituals ensue.  Rain picks up.  We see some ducks, actually more than usual which gives us some hope.  Well after a few hours, lunch and some rain breaks we decide to call it, we know the are by now we've hunting there more than two years.  

No comments: