Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wallowa River to the Grande Ronde Wild and Scenic





Cliffy and I set out at 5 am to head to the north east corner of the great state of Oregon.  We arrive in Minam at about 11 am, by 12 the boat is loaded and we are on the Wallowa river the beginning of our 80 mile journey.  The first leg of the journey we are just trying to get to our first camp site 12 miles on the Grande Ronde, approximately 5 hours.  Once we reach the camp there will be no way in or out, other words no turning back.  We run into some cold rain the first 3 miles which turns into blue skies.  Cliffy put me on the oars for the first time which seemed to be a gentle section of the river, it scared the shit out of me and I proceeded to hit every rock he pointed out for me to miss.  We make camp at 5 just as the sun is staring to set.  After some whiskey, a couple of beers and a warm dinner of vodka sauce we turn in.  The first night is cold, the skies are clear and full of stars.

The next morning we are greeted by clear skies after some warm coffee we load up the raft and hit the river.  Water is very low this time of year, river running at 690, so we are getting stuck on rocks a lot making Cliffys job not so easy and me the push and pull man. After some stops along the way swinging flies in a few holes, with some success, we complete our 8 miles.  Set camp, tonight we bust out a new piece of equipment.  Fire pan - grill.  Tonight yellow fin tuna loins on the grill are on the menu along with a grilled veggie salad.  After dinner we have our first fire and we relax with some Jefferson bourbon and cribbage.  Cliffy wins first game me the second, the last game of trip I'll win, can you see how the rest of this trip is going?

Day three brings a head tickle to some.  Were back in the boat.  A low thick fog envelopes the canyon walls.  After a few hours it burns off and nothing but blue skies.  More fishing today with little success.  We arrive at our next camp which were planning to use as a rest day, so we set the whole camp up.  After chores I gather the wood for a fire Cliffy sets up a BB gun course.  I light the fire with one match.  Cliffy slays the course, the same course he set up.  Then dinner, pork carnitas.  Did I mention we are eating really well?  We then do some prep for the next nights dinner, we prep the coq au vin that we will be cooking in a dutch oven over and open fire. 

The next day is a rest day so that means no moving of the camp.  You are on your own schedule, do what you want when you want.  Wake up to an amazing morning.  I stoke the fire from the night before coals, my greatest accomplishment keeping the fire going three days straight with just using that first match.  We fish, I gather wood and fish some more, play some crib..…  It's a beautiful day.  We sit and hit the BB course again,  Cliffy kills me again, but I do introduce the new skill challenge, the Crusher.  Shoot the stick out and crush the can.  Yes only Cliffy was able to do it.  We bust out the dutch oven and start dinner.  A whole chicken broken into quarters marinated with red wine and mirepoix.  Then browned and simmered with more red wine, chicken stock and more veggies.  Slow cooked for an hour then liquid reduced and served over pasta.  Right?!  

We decide to stick around another day.  Another rest day.  Same day as last.  The sky is blue and the winds are warm.  Today Cliffy caught a 18 inch bull trout.  The first he's ever caught.  It was the ugliest and meanest looking thing I have ever seen with rows of teeth.  More of everything, dinner of smoked ham hock stew with fresh cranberry beans and root vegetables.  Relaxation ensues by the fire.  We sit by the fire enjoy some libations and stare at the star filled sky.  Cliffy hits the sack I stay up to read by the fire.  After a while I hear what could only be described as a dinosaur walking through the woods snorting and everything.  I shine the light into the woods and see the eyes of a bear.  Gulp.  I pour myself another glass of wine and tuck in close to the fire.

The next two days are beautiful.  Lots of fishing, enjoying cold beers on the river enjoying great food at night.  Cliffy catches his second ever bull trout not as big but just as ugly.  I fall out of the boat and  the boat runs me over, making for a wet day, luckily it was about 75 degrees and sunny.  We camp the final night with 6 miles left.   Dinner of peanuts and chips and salsa.  Kill the last bottle of whiskey and get my ass kicked royally in crib.

Six days on a river.  Next up The Founders Tour.  

GBCH







No comments: