Friday, September 18, 2015

Well There It Is!

Regular readers of this blog will remember many years ago when the whole 'Betty' series of vehicles started with the Ole' Black Betty.  A 1986 Ford Bronco II that I traded a ham sandwich and a 12 pack of Budweiser for.  She was a good old truck that brought us to Sauvies Island in the middle of Arctic Blast 08 (?) despite her 2wd capabilities and lack of power or functioning transmission. She started a long line of Betty's.  Black, White, Red, Red again, Camo Green & white and finally Brown.  As you know Brown Betty has gone on to do great things at 8MPG without me.  So, with money in my pocket it was time to spend, and spend big. May I introduce to you......... New Black Betty!

For years I have been attempting to get Fred G to buy the perfect vehicle that could replace Lisa.  Not that Lisa needs to be replaced but I grow tired of hearing about how he never drives her, worries about getting home after hunting and can not use her as a daily driver due to her thirst at the pump.  "Fred G, I say, buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is perfect for your stylie life as a city duck hunter.  Easy to park, luxurious, nice stereo, comfortable and good lookin' just like you"  He never does.

So I did.
Fresh with dollars from the sale of Brown Betty I immediately turned and burned into this. A 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the ultra reliable I6 engine and full-time all wheel drive. It only took me 15 minutes to make the decision, and 8 days at my mechanic to get her ready to go.  I spent today 'Biffing the crumbler' and this is what you see.  Despite the convict spotter headlight, non working sunroof, half a heated drivers seat, noisy aftermarket exhaust and a rip or two in the interior she is good to go.  Even got a thumbs up from my Sweetie. She likes it so much she decided that it may be hers.  Awesome!

Now before you go saying "Bob D, doesn't Clider already have an all black SUV with a boat hitch and a Ducks Unlimited sticker on the back window?" let me remind you that this is a Jeep.  Merican! Made by Merican's and driven by a once and former 'Expert' unlike Clider.  Nothing personal but he is sure to die soon.  Have you seen those pods on his boat?

GBCH





5 comments:

Clider said...

Looks nice, can I borrow it to get firewood?

Fred G. said...

can you haul trash to the dump in it

Clider said...

Can we put rotten weather balloons in it?

Fred G. said...

does the stereo play really old lynyrd skynyrd songs? not the christian ones?

Bob said...

Firewood? No.
Trash? Nope, got a garbage service finally.
Weather balloons? Sure.
Not to worry the passenger seat heater works primo!
Stereo is already loaded. Its got a 10 disc CD changer loaded with my Southern Rock mix collection! Freebird Bizzzzznatches, for every ride every time.

This is all dependent on Paige not deciding that she likes it better than me. But, the Volvo wagon has already proven it can haul the filthy stinking weather balloon and has great winter tires. Nothing says duck hunter like a Volvo wagon.