Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I'm Back in the Game.






This is Clyde, having a smoke and getting ready to slay with his dog Copper.  Much like him I too am getting ready to slay after a long off season.  I'm writing to you today from the massive air terminal of Bradley International Airport as I sit waiting for my flight home.  I have been here in the great state of Connecticut helping my Mother with things as she recovers from chemotherapy.  You will be happy to know she is doing well and should be cancer free after only one more dose of Chernobyl Chowder.

Over the past weeks I have been a carpenter, stone mason, plumber, painter, roofer, auto detailer and most importantly, a landscaper.  I have seen enough maple leaves to last me for quite some time.  The pile I have created, the best one of three, is easily the size of an Escalade and might be visible from space.  I was very happy to be able to help and get her set for the winter months that are quickly approaching the Eastern seaboard.  But now I'm coming home.  It's time to Cil.

The 'Expert' title seems to be up for grabs even after my absence.  I thought for sure that I would be playing catch up because all the other Western chapter members have had weeks to go hunt and pad their duck totals before I even had a chance to dig my waders out of storage,  I don't even have a license yet.  But it turns out that nobody wants to shoot a Greenie.  I spoke with Clider and it seems he's more interested in riding bicycles than shooting.  Fred G claims that there is no water and Cliffy is too busy having birthdays to hunt.  Well watch out suckers,  Bob D. is back!

Look at my Grandfather standing there, gloves on, boots all laced up, license on his cap and ready to slay.  I'm sure if picture resolution had been invented yet we would be able to see a glint of anticipation in his eyes.  The knowledge that today might be the best day of hunting ever.  That's me right now, knowing that in a few short days I too will be out hunting and having possibly the best day I can, reclaiming what is rightfully mine, the title of 'Expert'.
GBCH


1 comment:

Fred G. said...

isn't it obvious that none of us want to hunt because you're no in the game yet? only you make it fun and exciting. too bad you will have no time to hunt with me and Clider, but you are still picking me up at the airport right?