Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Just Another Day At The Point

The Pinny as landed.
Sure I had a tinge of regret for not talking to Clider last night when I decided to go hunting this
morning. I went powder skiing yesterday and was thinking of going again today but something just didn't sit well with me from the last time I was out on the lake. Some kind of unfinished business let's call it. Some unresolved need to see ducks fly into The Point the way I knew they should. Not only that, but I had no idea if there was even any open water there. The temperatures have been downright frigid here in the Inland Empire what with the 'arctic blast' going on and all.  I didn't want to subject him to going to a locked up icy nothingness. But I just had to try.

I left early. Early enough to brave the icy roads and be ready to break up all the ice that surely was locking up the water around The Point I even brought an axe. Imagine my surprise when I stopped on the bridge with my spotlight and saw dark water around the area I wanted to hunt. When I got there I was amazed that the channel was open and that the water had gone down to the level where I could even cross to The Tip if I wanted. I was setting out my jerk rig when the first set of three mallards tried to land on me. Two landed in the 3 blocks I had already set not more than five yards away and I watched the third try to land next to me. Literally next to me. I think if my headlamp was off I could have smacked him in the chops. It went like that for the next 10 minutes. Mallards everywhere. I was sitting in my spot drawing a bead on endless landing greenies, a full half hour before shooting time. By the time the bell rang they had moved on.

I missed on the first set of ducks and then watched six fat geese fly right over me. They were so close I could have thrown a beach ball and hit them. That's when I felt bad about not calling Clider. Fortunately the next set of ducks that flew in I was able to bead up the big one and drop him in the snow to my left. I saw the white belly as I shot but didn't realize he was a Pinny until I picked him up much later. I was waiting for the fat greenie that had come along after I shot. I missed again. Shortly after I was surprised by the ducks that swam up behind me and flared when I decided to work the ole' 4 / 2 factor.

The sun was shining and the ducks weren't flying so I waded over to The Tip and waited but noting much more happened. On the way out I pulled a Clider and stalked the channel. The goose was stupid and I could have ciled him but the drake was faster than my shouldering technique, while laden with pack, and I never got off a shot. I liked the fact that the river was even locked up and The Point was once again the only game in town. I made it home in time to take a nap and get ready to make duck bites for dinner.
GBCH



Hanging at The Tip



No comments: