Tuesday, December 06, 2016

That's My Story, And I'm Stickin' To It.



One of many I shotten today


It all started well, hunting yesterday, not seeing much, scouting the birds at The Point, heading 
out early this morning. Heck, we were so early in fact that we had tons of time freshen up The Point with some new grasses and brush. The set looked good and all the birds we saw the day before were further up the lake. Things were flying. Clider chose to take a walk and warm up and I promised to shoot all the ducks that came into our decoys while he was gone. He must have put up 100 birds when he shotten down the lake but nothing really wanted to land by me so I tried our new tactic of changing up the look of the blocks and added the spinner. Sure enough, a greenie wanted in. He liked it so much he ended up staying.

Clider returned and left again, keeping himself and Peat warm while I held down the fort. By now greenies were just appearing out of nowhere and coming in smartly. I missed again and again and again by not shouldering my gun properly or being preoccupied with something other than shooting ducks. I got very frustrated at my ineptitude so it was a huge relief when I finally shot my second greenie of the day. Things were going well, but the day was about to get ugly.

Both of us were in the blind now and the action was terrific. I can't remember a day when The Point was working so well. The birds were almost all mallards and they liked what they saw. It was clear and cold and fairly windy. The perfect day to identify decoying ducks. The greenie came in from the right and I quickly snapped off a shot that missed. My second shot was right on point and the greenie dropped immediately. I know that I can't match Cliders totals so I looked over and gloated that at least I could shoot more greenies than he did today. That's when it happened. He looked over in all seriousness and stated that it was he who shot the greenie. What? Two shots from me, I had the hulls piled up around me to prove it, and one dead duck. What a little liar!

Should be five right?
It was tense in the blind, having to sit so close to an obvious sham artist and all. We agreed that the next downed greenie would claim my bird just to keep the peace. It couldn't have been more than 5 minutes later when a flock of mallards wanted in. A hen and drake were landing and I beaded him up and shot and dropped him. Again Mr. Filthy Liar claimed that he shot what was clearly my bird. In the end we each took one home although I'm sure that there was no way I didn't shoot both.

Birds stopped coming around and I had shotten through all my shells and some extras I found on the ground as well. A badly wounded henny landed in my ducks and also returned home with me. If only my 'friend' could shoot as well as I do maybe next time he can shoot some ducks too.
GBCH


2 comments:

Fred G. said...

Only "7" behind Bob D. As a wise man once said "you can do it!"

Thanks again for showing me such an awesome time when I was there. F'N Janet!

Bob said...

Sorry you had to hunt with a stinky bird cheater when you were here. I would never claim a duck you shot buddy. Clider has changed man!