Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Bob D. The 'Expert'.


 Hey it's me Bob D again. Seeing how nobody else in the H7HT goes hunting once the season is under way it's only natural that I have become The 'Expert' in only 2 short days.  This morning I had a choice to make between kayak hunting again or going to The Blind and seeing what kind of problems the big wind and rain storm caused the other day.  After loading up a cougar shell the walk was downright pleasant and, other than the knowledge that the same 3 1/2" red shell shooting bastard had been to our ridiculously expensive blind before us, everything looked great.  I put out a jerk rig, spinner and all my beautiful Dakota decoys and settled in for what was sure to be a banner day. I was treated to a silent morning that slowly woke up and gave me the pleasure of whistling wings greeting the morning light.


The second set of ducks flying after shooting hours had one with a bright white belly and I took the shot. One shot one splash.  Only problem was that it was a widgeon. Seems I'm great at shooting widgeon.  The next set that came in had another white belly and in my race for power and glory I two shotted another widgeon but this one hit the water and ran. Well, it swam actually.  My grandfather Clyde was watching from above and surely mad as hell as I waded out at least 200 yards before the water was up to my chest and my waders had no more to give. I had to let the bird go. My first NR (non retrieve) of the season and a sobering lesson about taking only the good clean shots and knowing your ability to retrieve.  I was feeling down.



After watching a few sets fly by and getting back into the spirit of things by beading up some brandt I was ready when the first greenie came in, looking to land in my perfect spread. One shot, one splash. I missed on a nice greenie coming straight in because I only saw him at the last second and after a few more sets came by I was ready for anything. The second greenie came by shortly after and although he was fatter than the first he was no less dead after a nice second shot of 3 1/2" power.  At this point I was now The 'Expert'.  See, only drakes count and an NR is a negative towards that count no matter the bird. While I was happy to be The 'Expert' I would rather have only 1 greenie and no NR's at all.  Grandpa Clyde and all.


After the greenie that snuck up behind me while I was taking a comfort break, I watched lots of birds fly into the Pylons at the end of the lake. Perhaps Clider and I will go there tomorrow.  I guess waiting for snow has it's rewards.
GBCH.



1 comment:

Fred G. said...

the good ole days when you were the expert, like it was yesterday