Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Day 1&2 of the regular season.




Day 1 of duck season saw me up in the mountains camping in a yurt, and chasing deer and elk in circles.  It was the first time since I started hunting that I missed opening weekend, and so I figured I might as well miss two weeks worth and give Bob D and crew a little head start.

Day one for me started out with boats and Bob, an unusual combination for a man that hates boats.  But there we were, paddling out to a spot just East of the blind.  We set a small spread, covered up the boats and got ready for the slaying. It wasn't long before greenie numero uno of the 2017 season came in from the left, and Bob decided to just let me have it since I had a late start.  I took him up on his offer and landed my first bird.




With one on the board things were looking up.  Soon another greenie came in on my right, and as he was about to land, I pulled up and completely whiffed it.  He laughed his way out of sight and we went back to waiting.  As the day went on I was able to keep my shooting to a minimum and pull down another two green headed bastards. Sitting at 3 and O, I watched a nice fat, slow greenie come in from my side. I let it pass over to Bob's side, and he just sat there looking down so as not to disturb it at it lazily floated above our spread. Bob D decided to let greenie live another day and didn't so much as shoulder his gun.

We enjoyed the great weather for a little while and then headed back the car.  It was a great way to start the season, and it set me on a path that I will try to maintain for as long as I can stand it. I am Clider, and I only shoot greenies.



Day 2 of  the season was really just an hour and a half.  I had done a little mountain biking and decided I'd try my hand at a quick evening hunt.  I headed up the road to SPOT X, place that I'm not going to identify on here anymore, as it only takes a couple people to overload it and god knows how many locals are reading this.  I did a lot of kayak dragging due to the water being low, but after a lot of messing about I was finally out on the water.


10 blocks went out in minutes, and then I settled into my chair and waited for the onslaught. It was at this time I remembered how important scouting was.  Nothing was flying, and after an hour I hadn't even seen a seagull. The time was winding down for the end of shooting time, and the wind was ripping away all my body heat.  The sunset was beautiful, and I was about ready to pack it in when a trio of divers came into view fully locked up. They landed far out away from me, but it gave me a little hope.


Just ten minutes before it was time to pack up a pair of mallards made a B-line for my tiny spread. I waited until they were about 5 feet off the deck, and then unloaded my first two rounds in front of the greenie. He was battling the wind, and so my shots were well ahead of him.  I corrected for the crazy amount of wind and dropped him him right into my spread.  The day was over, and I was happy to have seen ducks, let alone be taking one home.










1 comment:

Bob said...

Picture #1 shows me being magnanimous. Picture #3 shows me yelling something along the lines of "Heston dammit, why don't you just sink that boat and let me go home to take a nap".