Thursday, August 04, 2022

Well There It Is!

The Majestic Ladi
 Hello everyone and welcome the newest member of the H7HT.  This is Ladi, pronounced Laa-Dee for those that might think I named my dog 'Lady' like the silly people at the Vet.  More on that later.

Last Sunday I took a road trip through the central Idaho and Oregon to the town of Cove.  There I met the nice folks at Forest Cove Tollers and left with this little bundle of puppiness. About 45 seconds into our trip she pooped in her kennel in the back seat of my truck, welcome to the family.  After a qiuck stop to clean up we were back on the road.  It's a long trip and I was expecting a lot of whining and some barking to accompany me for the next 5 hours, heck, the man who sold me the pup even gave me a set of earplugs to go with.  Turns out although there was some general noise made on her part she was mostly a 'good dog' for the majority of the ride.  We stopped a couple times along the way for breaks but basically the trip was easy-peasey.  A good start.

She slept mostly through the night and only required one late night trip outside, something which most people said would be impossible.  When we woke up for good and I carried her outside for play time and as we were leaving the back door a familiar sound came over us.  There were a V of geese flying right over my house.  I never see geese this early and this particular V was literally right over my house.  If it was in-season you could have taken a shot.  I looked up in wonder and decided on the spot that this was a great omen. Ladi, for her part, was looking around to see where the sound came from but she did not look up so I have nobody to confirm this event.

Chilling at the Vet. Arrrgh.
We played in the makeshift playpen I made for most of the day.  Ladi did a lot of napping and I finally had the time to read the book I have been working on all summer.  Later in the afternoon I switched out the lawn chair I was uncomfortably sitting on to one of those 3 part folding loungers and when I sat down the thing collapsed. In the process I fell onto the little girls front leg and she let out a yelp that I hope to never hear again.  Off to the Vet we went.  She was a trooper the whole time and everyone at the office commented on how gentile and pretty she was, even if they tried to call her Lady twice.  Short story is that there was no damage but some swelling and good judgment on the side of caution got her a shiny little leg wrap for a couple days. My prognosis was not as good as I decided then and there that I am a terrible person and a bad parent. I broke my dog within 24 hours of delivery.


Can you spare a treat for a cripple?
The bandage comes off soon and in the meantime we have been out and about meeting people and getting tons of sympathy in the process, the puppy, not me.  Actually every dog owner I met told me of some similar story or about how trips to the Vet for random emergencies are a regular part of the experience.  I still feel like a turd for hurting her but the good news is there is no permanent damage and Ladi does not seem to hold it against me, she does hate the bandage though.

Today Clider and June Bug stopped by to have a meet and greet and both of the girls got along great.  By great I mean they pretty much didn't care about each other.  June wanted to play ball and Ladi was more interested in what was behind the hot tub but at the very least Clider and I had a nice chat.  We seldom see each other in the summertime and he is off on a 2 week work trip but we have made a plan to have the future duck blind buddies get together again soon.  Later today we go and meet the crew at Galena Ridge and maybe, just maybe, if we are lucky go play on some real live golf course turf.  Probably not though. Stay tuned for more adventures.

GBCH





No comments: