Thursday, August 11, 2022

Water Dog, And Other Adventures.


Ladi and I went again to the water today.  Actually 'The Water' is more like 'The little End of the Stream' that empties out from the bottom of Government Gulch and makes some small pools and some shallow running water spots.  It is the best area I have to introduce her to the water.  I wish we lived at the beach or had a big house on the lake , but we can't all be like Uncle Dick.  So instead we do the best we can which in our case means the stream.  We have been a couple times before and every time she is a little more ready to jump in with all four.  The first time I brought some tennis balls and a chair and sat in the stream and talked her in.  She was a little tentative at first but soon was wading in and splashing around.  As we were sitting there I saw something dark red under the water and I reached in and pulled out a pair of Smith ski goggles from under the water. Instant favorite. Forgot about all the tennis balls floating around and she decided that whatever these stinky muddy things that came from the bottom of the streambed was the best thing ever.  I used that to get her almost all the way in but she's not quite ready.

This week was the first week back to work as well. Of course we have been together 24/7 and I knew that the biggest hurdle would be how she behaved at work while I was doing things like, well, working.  As nervous as I was that she would cry and whine for 10 hours I was very pleasantly surprised to find that she settled right into the routine.  The few times I have left her alone in the bedroom kennel and closed the door she went crazy and led my neighbor Rosie to ask if she was ok.  I know that we will have to address this separation anxiety but as long as she can see that she's not alone she is fine.  I guess growing up with 12 brothers and sisters, 2 mothers, another dog and 2 humans then being displaced to a new home has it's issues.  We continue to work on this.

Time to work on that so off we go.  Stay tuned for more and also realize that the 2022 hunting season is just around the corner!
GBCH.


No comments: