Monday, October 24, 2022

Somebody Shot a Greenie!

Small dog, smaller gun.
 Hunting season has started and already my dog and I are behind in the standings.

Our opener was October 1st, two weeks earlier than normal and just in time to coincide with the most beautiful batch of fall weather that I have ever seen in North Idaho.  Temps in the 70's and 80's every day for weeks. Blue sky and not a stitch of rain.  Perfectly clear nights with a big bright moon.  All the things you don't want for duck hunting.  Of course we were out there every chance we got. I pared down the bag to just the essentials, 3 decoys, an extra pair of gloves, water and of course dog food.  All of this made it easy to carry to whatever spot we ended up with and I added a new gun to the ranks, the lowly Marlin .410 I had loaned Clider when he broke his shoulder(?). We were ready for anything.

The pictures tell the story, no ducks flying, no ducks dying.  What we did get was a beautiful first day out complete with a close encounter with big bull moose and his posse.  A second day learning how far  I could put decoys out on the Other Side without getting my boots pulled off by the mud. And today I got an unfortunate lesson in how piss poor a .410 is at shooting a Widgeon. On the plus side the weather has changed literally overnight.  Last Thursday was 78 degrees and beautiful and Friday was cold with clouds moving in.  It snowed on the mountains the next day and the cold rain has yet to stop.  Hooray, duck weather is here.

I'm sure we will be out again next day off I have but until then just know there's a new 'Expert' in town, and it ain't me.

GBCH

2 comments:

Cliffy said...

So, who shot the greenie?

Fred G. said...

Do the weights around her neck make her stronger?