Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wow! A Response



I am the District Manager for this section of I-84 and will respond to
your question.

The new fence is part of a project required by Federal Highways. All
interstate freeways are access controlled and the original fencing had
been cut, taken down or otherwise in poor shape. The recent contract
restored the fencing and installed fence where it should have been. The
area you area asking about is perhaps one of those new areas.

Parking along I-84 is only allowed in emergencies. There are regulatory
signs in place that make this enforceable. I cannot say it's
permissible to hunt in the area you have done so in the past because I
don't know who owns that property. State Parks and the Forest Service
own property along I-84 as well as the railroad. There are some private
properties, but those are few. It could be ODOT's property but it's
unlikely since our R/W doesn't extend beyond the fence line.

You asked about installing a small gate. I believe our contract is
nearing completion. If you are accessing this area from a parking lot,
we may consider that. If it is from the freeway, we don't want to
encourage that access and likely would not want to do this. Call me if
you would like to discuss this. (503-665-4514)


Larry Olson

No comments: