Saturday, August 27, 2022

A Tale of Two Sally's

 This is a photo of two Sally's.  There's a story to go with them so sit back and read a little.

When I first met Paige she was living in a house with some, what I would describe as, unsavory characters.  You know the kind.  An artist, a fellow theatre worker and worst of all, a guy that worked at William Sonoma. Trouble to be sure.  Also living there was a sweet lab named Chloe.  She was a good dog and over time I heard how she had adopted her Sally toy as the one thing she would not destroy.  I guess some dogs latch onto one thing in particular that gives them comfort and won't harm that thing all the while terminating any other toy that comes down the pike.  So somehow, Sally survived.

Fast forward to the time that Chloe was no longer around and I noticed that Sally would soon be homeless.  For whatever reason I took her with me when Paige and I moved into our first home.  I don't really know what it was about Sally that made me bring her along in all the following years, all of our different homes and finally to the cabin that we live in now, but as time went on each time I saw Sally I figured it would be a nice bridge to the past to give her to the dog that someday I would like to have.

So here we are today.  It turns out that we have a dog.  She has her moments of  being a 'good puppy' and I dug out Sally from the depths of the garage to see just how our puppy would react.  Cautiously I gave Ladi the Sally toy and told her to be gentile. The last thing I wanted was for our dog to disrespect the memory of Chloe and go tearing up a 20+ year old toy I have been carrying around for her.  Puppy teeth are sharp so I gave her time with Sally on a limited basis.  She liked Sally and between the two of us we kept her safe.

I come home the other day and Paige tells me that she has found some dog toys online from the Peanuts Gang.  She orders them and to my surprise they are exactly the same toys!  Now Ladi has the whole gang to play with.  Currently she seems to enjoy Lucy the most and Paige has wisely kept Linus from her.  Linus looks a little scared to be mauled by puppy teeth anyway.  I took this picture of two Sally's, form roughly 25 years apart, and hope that Chloe is happy and Ladi will find her favorite to play with for a long time.

GBCH


No comments: